First Impressions & Some Suggestions

Leave your feedback in here. Feedback helps us improve the software.
canuckbrian

First Impressions & Some Suggestions

Post by canuckbrian » Mon May 08, 2017 10:28 am

Hello,

I have just started using GSP-Panel and I have some first impressions and feedback to share.

First, this is probably the 8th or 9th panel I've tried in the last 60 days. I've tried free opensource panels, I've tried the expensive subscriptions panels, and I've tried some of the less costly one-time payment panels. This one seems the most robust and well developed so far. It's support for WHMCS and other billing platforms is great. The product seems to work exactly as expected, and boasts a large variety of features and control which is really nice.

Suggestions
  • Make game install more streamlined / easier. The process of having to install the game files on the server first, then deploy a copy of those game files to the customer's folder when their server is configured seems a bit unnecessary, at least for games that are on SteamCMD. The problem I foresee is that your local copy of game files will eventually become outdated, then ever server that is created after that point is going to be outdated right from the start, which means the user is going to have to perform an update using SteamCMD from their panel. Why not just have the server install from SteamCMD in the first place. That way they're getting the most recent files the first time? I was just a little surprised that SteamCMD isn't an option in the "Add Game > Install Type" options.
  • MySQL databases for customers. Having a module to create and assign MySQL databases to customers would be great. Some games require a MySQL database, and it would be nice to have that management integrated into the panel.
  • Better console view. The current "pop-up" window for viewing the server's console is a bit restrictive. It's quite narrow and as such causes a lot of lines to wrap. This makes it very difficult to read. Perhaps instead of a popup you could have it open a new browser window with the console interface. More of a traditional interface would be nice too (black screen with green/white text in Courier or Consolas font). Also having options for auto-refreshing the console every x seconds with a 5 or 10 second minimum would give it the appearance of a "live" console.
That's all for now, I've only used it for a few days. I'll provide more as I get further along the trial.

Thanks!

William

Re: First Impressions & Some Suggestions

Post by William » Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

There are multiple reasons for keeping a local copy of the game server files, the two primary ones are for faster installs and no/low bandwidth consumption (higher bandwidth usage could lead to increase latency on all game servers on that machine which could upset your customers). It's fairly easy to setup a scheduled task to make sure the "base files" are up to date.

The database feature is in our tracker but no ETA on it being developed.

We are working on improving the console log and will make a note of the features you requested.

canuckbrian

Post by canuckbrian » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 pm

More feedback...
  • Offline servers are difficult to identify. Can we get an Alias field that the customer or admin can fill in for quicker identification of servers on the server list?

canuckbrian

Post by canuckbrian » Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm

More feedback...
  • Having the scheduler is great but it's lacking in some timing options. Can we have an option on it to perform an action every X hours? This is not possible right now with the current Scheduler options. If I want to restart my server every 4 hours, I cannot do that with the current options available.
  • Can we also have an option to not run the scheduled task if there are players on the server still?
  • TeamSpeak servers don't show the correct user count. With no one connected it shows that there is 1 person on. When I connect and I'm the only one on the server it shows that there are 2 people on.

Lucas Bertone

Post by Lucas Bertone » Wed May 17, 2017 1:42 pm

I have created WHMCS Server Module for phpMyAdmin. That way you can offer free database to your client. If you are interested contact me

Lucas Bertone

Post by Lucas Bertone » Wed May 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I can't reply to pm since I just registered. Join my discord channel

discord.me/multiplayerhosting