More accurate server down check

Would you like to see a feature added into GSP-Panel? Post it here
MADMAN32395

More accurate server down check

Post by MADMAN32395 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:47 pm

If a game server does happen to crash, it relies on the cron for the entire game panel. (default at 5 minutes; and suggested not the change to a sooner time). If a game server is down for 5 minutes that doesn't look too good both on host and who ever server you happen to be hosting.

I since adjusted my cron to 1 minute, as I do not use any of the graphs (as I use the GSP internally to manage servers) but even 1 minute is long. Would be nice to be more responsive instead of waiting 5 minutes.

William

Re: More accurate server down check

Post by William » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks for your input, we certainly understand the issue. Creating a fix for this is rather difficult without having something monitor each game/voice service every few seconds which would waste quite a bit of resources for such little return.

MADMAN32395

Post by MADMAN32395 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:34 pm

little return? its a crashed server. I am sure anyone would want ASAP vs 5 Minutes. even 10 or 30 seconds would be better. instant would be greatest. Source servers, majority of them when they crash, the process kills unless its a hard crash with a prompt, but running as a system service as it is, it wouldn't produce a prompt, so it still kills the process.

Honestly, It doesn't make sense to track it per 5 minutes to check crashes.

William

Post by William » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:38 pm

What I am saying is a majority of servers usually stay up and do not crash. The amount of resources it would take to perform a scan for each game/voice service every 10-30 seconds would be greater then any return. It may not be such a big deal when only talking 50-100 servers, but what about the providers that host thousands?

If this feature were to launch tomorrow and it required the web servers to have 32 cores, 64gigs of ram, and solid states would you still use it?

We have been looking at ways to improve server monitoring but all of our solutions are still far from instant.

MADMAN32395

Post by MADMAN32395 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 am

good to know its being looked into at least :) ;; anything sooner than 5 minutes would be swell. lol

but why would a provider be hosting 1k or higher on one box? That would require a lot more spec regardless.

William

Post by William » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:08 am

MADMAN32395 wrote:but why would a provider be hosting 1k or higher on one box? That would require a lot more spec regardless.
The web server is doing server checks not the remote servers so it's doesn't matter if there are 1k servers on multiple remote servers or on a single remote server.