Console / Tasklist Improvements Linux

Would you like to see a feature added into GSP-Panel? Post it here
Cidvond

Console / Tasklist Improvements Linux

Post by Cidvond » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:59 am

Hey GSP,

Wanted to request a few more things that I would love to see on the linux side of stuff. I noticed that the Consoles are currently static and you have to close and reopen them to update them. I was wondering if it would be possible to update them so that you can watch them as they are updated. Normally you can use the tail -f command to help with this.

Another thing along the same lines is adding a console or a watch task to the tasklist page when the task is running. I have had some tasks get stuck but have been sitting there wondering if it is stuck or what is going on. It would be really helpful to have that added and also have it live (or delayed) updated to help troubleshoot tasklist installs and processes.

Thanks,
Cidvond

William

Re: Console / Tasklist Improvements Linux

Post by William » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with updating the logs live is that "tail -f" would need to stream from the backend to PHP to the browser.

As for the tasklist, the tasks do have logs assuming that the frontend received the data from the backend. We have been working on a way to track the backend threads but we are no where close to being done. It would also be helpful to know what types of tasks are getting stuck.

Cidvond

Post by Cidvond » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:03 am

William,

That is correct, You would have to push the "tail -f" through your current system. I am not sure how the current console system is set up so I am unable to suggest a way to go about it.

As for the tasks getting stuck. Most of the time is it something minor with steamCMD not having the correct appID or steamCMD saying you don't have permissions to download something. Its hard to see that it is saying that without manually trying the command in the back-end. Also sometimes the updates / installs (copy files) gets stuck because of something not being set up correctly when trying to do them. I understand all of this is user error aka me setting it up wrong but it would be nice to have something to check and see if the task is running correctly or not. Also a task cancel button would be cool but that would require "sigkill -15 PID" to work I would think.

Once again, Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestions and willingness to work with the community to improve GSP-Panel!

Thanks,
Cidvond

William

Post by William » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:50 am

The system is currently setup to download the last 500 lines of the log file (screenlog.txt or the configured log file for the game template), then that information is displayed to the user. We will continue to search for a way to stream the file from the remote servers.

As for the remote tasks, it should be logging any errors in the status column. If you could send us a debug.txt from the remote server when this happens it would certainly help us figure out why you are not seeing these logs. A cancel task button requires us to keep a very accurate list of threads on the backend and a way to identify/interact with them, this is currently being looked into.

Cidvond

Post by Cidvond » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Hey William ,

The error are mostly mistakes I have been making on my side when trying to run the tasks. Some of which are wrong locations and wrong steam appids or it holds up the steam guard screen. Basiclly its just me making mistakes and not the system. It is trying to do as I asked it to but it hangs up in areas because of mistakes I made when trying to set up the task. It would be nice to see a console or trace like you have set up using your screenlog.txt files.

Also would it be possible to make it so when a user runs an update or an addon install it adds a log of it to the task area?

Thanks,
Cidvond